
Moving through.....life.........
I attended a "Code Blue Review" class @ work today. It was good to learn [again] that "stuff"; by coincidence there was a code and a few classmates went upstairs to participate (sidebar: the gentleman did not make it).
It is quite rainy and cold today in Eastern VA.
On the way home, I saw a somewhat unusual sight for this area, a homeless person with a sign stating "No Money, No Food, Please help, God Bless" [paraphrased]. I have seen this sight in Baltimore often. I know there are homeless people in my area, but the "metropolitan" spots are so spread out here, and the area is populated by cars more that foot traffic, one doesn't see the homeless [walking around] often, at least I don't.
I was on my way to Trader Joe's for some groceries. I was sitting at the light and she [the homeless person] was in my passenger side mirror. I sat there thinking about the rain and cold and nursing and helping people and how whenever I see someone homeless, I don't have money or food in my car, and how I've often wanted to spontaneously help.
I got to TJ's, and quickly purchased my basic groceries and picked up food that would be nutritious and be easily packed and carried: a loaf of bread, a package of roast beef sandwich meat; a package of string cheese, 2 bananas, 2 apples. I bagged the groceries for her separately. I went back down the road and she was still there (of course - where is she going to go on this wet cold day?). I did a U turn; I pulled up next to her, put down the automatic passenger side window, called out to her and handed her the bag, told her what was in it. She thanked me. I know the people behind me saw it happen. Then she ambled off into the woods - really a patch of undeveloped land.
Then....
I tried to put up my window, it didn't go up, it's raining and cold; I have a 30 minute drive ahead of me to get home. I pulled into a restaurant and went in asking for a plastic bag and tape. The young hostess happily assisted me. As I was in the parking lot, another restaurant employee assisted me. I began to drive home w/ a plastic bag making a lot of noise flapping in the "wind" and that lasted about 15 minutes. I made another stop to try to adjust the bag, moments later to no avail. Then I stopped again (3rd time), took the bag off and rigged up a "car blanket" over the window (you know, the blankets you keep in the trunk for just such an "emergency"). I made it home, passenger interior relatively dry. I made a "stop-in" appointment at Honda tomorrow to try and get the window at least up....but all this talk about the window really wanders away form the original topic and original intent of this posting.
What was the original intent? A random act of Kindness, thinking in other's shoes, wanting to help more [often].
Some of you will say: "But you do help, you're a nurse!" Yes, true. However, I don't see [immediately] I how much I help. Yes, I give comfort, pain meds, etc. I give discharge instructions and hope the patient follows our recommendations...but I don't often see [later] if all that helped....
Now I could launch into a discussion on "taking it on faith"....however, I shall stop for now and continue "discussion" later. Peace and Health to you all. Love!
p.s. the Bradford Pear trees are blooming, and what a lovely sight!

Reen just had a similar experience, on the bus on her way to work. A man who looked (in her description, really hungry) was asking for money of everyone on the bus. He wanted the money, he said, for smokes. No kidding. Ultimately of course, he sat next to Reena (attractive, with a large weirdo magnet) and asked her - quietly and politely - for money. She said no, bur offered him an apple. He accepted it and CHOWED into it. All the conversation around them ceased as they observed it.
ReplyDeleteAnd...my experience:
I saw a person at an intersection with a sign similar to what you describe, but specifically referencing a broken down car needing repairs. I hit an ATM for myself and got an extra $40 - this was at a time when $40 was significant to my budget - and drove back and gave it to him. About a week later I encounter the same SOB at a different major intersection, same sign, different car dealership nearby. I rolled down my window and told him he was a complete bastard who had hardened my will towards panhandlers forever. He flipped me off.
Another tale: A regular panhandler on the pedestrian mall in town was a regular installation near a bookstore I frequented. I nodded to him routinely as he was a nice enough fellow. He simple held out a cup and asked for change...no sob story. After a winter of not seeing him, he turned up again in the spring. I stopped to talk to him and asked where he had been all winter. He laughed and said, "Florida." I looked astonished. He said, "Hustling here is too cold in the winter."
My point? None. Every story is different. Some are truly needy, some are working your affluent guilt.
Oooh! Another good one. I was walking with a friend on the same pedestrian mall. We passed a panhandler sitting, I shit you not, in front of a sign reading Help Wanted. The panhandler asked if she had any spare change. She stopped, reached into her pocket and pulled out what must have been $3.00 in change and said, "Yes, I do. Get a frigging job." and walked on. That may have been the coldest thing I ever saw. I suspect she had been taken before...
In the end, You can't fix it. My own belief is that giving to individual panhandlers funds cigs, booze, or other drugs, not food. I donate instead to pantries and shelters. And I vote for people who will fund shelters, pantries, and other placement services. Is short, I'm a Lefty Commie Pinko Bleeding Heart Liberal and damn proud of it. Except that I'm also a Capitalist Pig...
Thank you for your stories. I gave food for the reasons you cited above, and that I she looked like she really needed it. My mother has a rule for "panhandlers" in Baltimore: If they have "good" shoes and a "good" coat - they get nothing. If they do get something she offers them food or to go with her to a restaurant to get food. Sometimes they accept the food.
ReplyDelete