

The thumbnail photo for this blog was taken in Scotland 2005. Rachel is the red-tail hawk I had the privilege of holding (for a small donation)! There was a "bird awareness" [?] tent set up at a strip mall where our tour bus stopped for the "pilgrims of commerce"/shoppers. I was so excited to have the opportunity to hold a raptor bird! (In the US one must have a license to do so, that requires several government agencies to agree to give you a license. I digress.) My camera was in the bus (why would I need a camera at a strip mall in Scotland?!), the bus was locked, so I went frantically searching thru stores to find other tour mates with a camera. The other bird is Golden Eagle named Duchess. The bird's handler said that the birds liked me because they were not flapping around on my hand/arm; and they were making small bird noises. I was able to stroke their chests as well. Magnificent experience! Magnificent creatures! The highlight of that trip!

Lovely! How much did Rachel weigh? Duchess looks pretty fierce.
ReplyDeleteBoth birds were suprisingly light weight for their size. Yes, they look fierce, but there was peace about them too.
ReplyDelete